Thursday

Currently digging . . .

So lately I've really been into chill, relaxing, sometimes electronic, sometimes non-vocal music. I'm really enjoying The Weekend Players, Pursuit of Happiness, The Roots of Orchis , Zero 7 and Handsome Boy Modeling School.

I saw a review of Weekend Players calling it "dreamy electo brit-pop" which I 1/2 agree with. If you like any combination of Frou Frou, anything but the girl, and sade (@times), you'll probably dig their vibe. They have a bit of a low-key clubby feel on sometracks and a drift asleep on the beach feel on others - and I like 'em.

I recently saw Roots of Orchis as an opening band to the Album Leaf. I have to say, I really thought they took the cake. I'm a big fan of buying cd's at shows, as if it washes away all the sins of illegal downloads, and I picked up their most recent double cd, Crooked Ceilings and I LUV it. I'll burn a copy if any of you want it.

I started listening to Zero 7 after hearing them on the Garden State sndtrk. I completely dig their hypnotic and inventive mixes. They also have done several collaborations including a great remix of "Climbing up the Walls" by radiohead.

Handsome Boy Modeling School "White People" has been making me smile for the past 2 weeks now. It definitely fills in my hip-hop void of my record collection for right now.

In the book world, I just finished reading Broken Music: A memoir by Sting. Actually, I read pretty much the entire book over my vacay in France. I was really pleasantly suprised by how much I enjoyed this book. He's a fantastic writer and kept my attention from cover to cover.

I'm currently reading Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. I am trying SO hard to like this book, but the truth of it is that I don't. I read nothing but good things about it (I've been searching reviews looking for affirmations of my dislike), but I still can't muster up the strength to like it. The main character is completely unbelieveable and impossible to identify with. I can't even find a strong emotion towards him. Anyway, not a keeper.

So that's that. Hopefully will be going to OtR again - can't wait actually and will unfortunately be missing Snow Patrol again. We'll be heading to the Jazz Brunch in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday if anyone's interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home